We recommend the following weekly mindfulness practice groups which are in the style of Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction and accessible to all regardless of spiritual/religious orientation. All of these groups are drop-in. You may contact them ahead for more information and an orientation to what they do or simply drop in. Prior experience with MBSR is helpful.
- Mindfulness Meditation Group - Wednesdays at 10 am - Red Cedar Dharma Hall (1021 N Forest St). Our peer-led meditation group meets every Wednesday from 10 am – 11:30 am at the Red Cedar Dharma Hall in Bellingham. Doors open at 9:45 and everyone is encouraged to arrive and get settled early so we can start and end promptly.
- Our meditative practices are focused on those employed in Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (MBSR): mindfulness meditation, mindful yoga, body scans, loving-kindness meditation. Senior group members take turns leading the meeting.
- Our group is open to new members who have had formal Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction or Mindfulness Meditation classes. We do collect fees from members to cover the rent: $5 per session or $15 per month.
- NOTE: Before attending, please contact Maria: Email or call (360) 220-3353
- Bellingham Insight Meditation Society – www.bellinghaminsight.org - meditation in the Insight tradition (a simplified version of the Buddhisms of Thailand and Burma) – emphasis on longer sitting periods and community interaction. Meets at Red Cedar Dharma Hall (1021 N Forest St). “BIMS” has monthly orientations for newcomers on the 1st Tuesday of the month 6pm-7pm. Monthly one-day sits, weekend retreats, longer off-site retreats
- Tuesday Evening Practice – Tuesdays 7pm – 9pm. Usually a 45 minute sitting period followed by a program of discussion or lecture.
More info: firstname.lastname@example.org or (206)235-3489
- Red Cedar Zen Community - www.redcedarzen.org meditation in the Soto Zen style (the gentler form of Zen) 4 times / week at Red Cedar Dharma Hall (1021 N Forest St). The root is breath awareness and attention to the body-mind experience. Also includes bowing, chanting and other ritual elements as supports for mindfulness. Tim is the Spiritual Director (head teacher) of this group. Attending an orientation may help one feel more comfortable with the format but new sitters are welcome to just jump in as well. “RCZC” also has retreats every few months – 2 to 3 day retreats at the Dharma Hall and week long retreats off-site.
- Noon Meditation – Mondays and Fridays. Entire program in the noon-1pm hour.
- Wednesday Evening Practice – Wednesdays 7pm – 9pm. Sitting and walking meditation, usually a short lecture on Buddhist practice. Orientation at 6:30pm. Includes opportunity to meet with Tim, and other teachers, privately.
- Saturday Morning Practice – Saturdays 6am – 9am. A substantial opportunity to do sitting and walking practice with plenty of Saturday left. Includes opportunity to meet with Tim (and other teachers) privately.
More info: email@example.com 360-312-7088
- Bellingham Shambhala Center - bellingham.shambhala.org meditation, study, and ritual in a somewhat Westernized version of Tibetan Buddhism. 2825 Meridian, Suite 201 (2nd Floor, across from Haggens grocery). Weekly practice, weekend retreats, classes.
- Monday Evenings for New Comers - Mondays 6:30pm – 8pm. Weekly practice with meditation instruction for new sitters.
- Thursday Evening Practice – Thursdays 7pm – 9pm. Classes and more advanced topics.
More info: firstname.lastname@example.org 360-483-4526