Our Fundamentals of Mindfulness course for medical professionals hosted by The Everett Clinic, now available to all healthcare professionals.
Join us in the company of other clinicians, staff, and their family members, in an investigation of mindfulness from the inside out. Introduction to Mindfulness (and it's companion class Continuing with Mindfulness) are based on Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR). MBSR is the best researched mindfulness intervention with positive research indications for:
- Improving immune system function
- Reducing anxiety
- Preventing relapse of depression
- Reducing negative emotional response to stress
- Managing chronic pain
- Addressing chronic health conditions including high blood pressure, fibromyalgia, heart disease, asthma, GI distress, and skin disorders
- Effectively coping with short and long-term stressful situations
- Encouraging growth in the brain areas associated with learning, memory, focus, attention, emotional regulation, and empathy
- Enhancing compassion and altruism
- Reducing pregnancy-related anxiety
- Helping professionals cope with stress, connect with patients, and reduce burnout-inducing negative emotions and anxiety
- Coping with PTSD (veterans and other sufferers)
- Increasing “mindfulness of eating” (e.g., in relationship to obesity)
- Improving general health and well-being through a focus on prevention and greater awareness of what's truly harmful and helpful
This shorter Introduction to Mindfulness class was inspired by MBSR and offers a deep taste of mindfulness training in a briefer 5-week period.
This course is for TEC healthcare providers and to all Everett area healthcare providers.
Introduction to Mindfulness is a structured 5-week course on mindfulness that promotes stress reduction, health and well-being. This highly participatory, practical class includes:
- Guided instruction in mindfulness meditation practices
- Gentle stretching and mindful yoga
- Inquiry exercises to enhance awareness in everyday life
- Group dialogue and small group exercises
- Daily home assignments
- Guided audio files for home practice
- a 40-page workbook with short readings, a guide to the course, and resources to support your ongoing investigation of mindfulness
Please see the MBSR page for full details about the well-researched MBSR class designed by Jon Kabat-Zinn and the Center for Mindfulness at the UMass Medical Center.
5 meetings: 4 regular class sessions and one extended session.
Wednesdays evenings 6:00pm - 8:30pm, October 26 - November 16th
Extended session: Saturday November 12th, 9am - 3pm
Instructor: Richard Johnson, PhD
TEC Evergreen Building, 7600 Evergreen Way, Everett, WA
Available for: Healthcare professionals and their spouses or partners through the internal training website and to all area healthcare providers.
Registration: contact Valerie Murray at firstname.lastname@example.org - cost for those not at TEC is just $150.