IMPORTANT SCHEDULE CHANGE: The date and location of this class's retreat day has changed. It is now Sunday March 12th at North Bellevue Community Center.
Are you interested in mindfulness and its potential for enhancing health and well being? Are you under stress? Are you struggling with chronic conditions such as chronic pain, depression, and anxiety? Are you feeling as if life is too much? Or do you simply want to live a fuller life with greater balance?
Recent research shows Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) reduces chronic pain and boosts the immune system; addresses painful mental states like depression and anxiety; minimizes emotional reactivity and promotes well-being; increases flexible attention and sharpens mental focus; and actually thickens grey matter in the areas of empathy and problem-solving. Happiness is a delightful by-product.
Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction is a structured 8-week course on mindfulness that reduces stress, and promotes health and well being. This highly participatory, practical course includes:
- Guided instruction in mindfulness meditation practices
- Gentle stretching and mindful yoga
- Inquiry exercises to enhance awareness in everyday life
- Group dialogue and small group exercises
- Daily home assignments
- Guided audio files for home practice
- a 50-page workbook with short readings, a guide to the course, and resources to support your ongoing investigation of mindfulness
Please see the MBSR page for full details about this well-researched class designed by Jon Kabat-Zinn and the Center for Mindfulness at the UMass Medical Center.
8 classroom sessions: Wednesday evenings 6:30pm - 9:00pm, February 1st - March 22nd.
Retreat day: Sunday March 12th, 9:00am - 4:00pm.
See also the daytime Fundamentals of Mindfulness class running from February 22nd to March 15th.
Instructor: Karen Schwisow, E-RYT
308 4th Avenue
Kirkland, WA 98033
(Map and directions)
Retreat day (Sunday March 12th):
North Bellevue Community Center
4063 148th Ave NE
Bellevue, WA 98007
$310-$450 sliding scale (paying on the higher end makes the lower end possible, our usual built-in "scholarship" system).
The fee includes all 9 meetings and instructional materials (course manual and 2 home practice CDs).
Two types of scholarship assistance are available:
- Paying on the low end of the sliding fee scale: please use this option if at all possible.
- Applying for scholarship assistance: if the low end represents a financial hardship, we have limited additional scholarship funds available. Special consideration is given to military veterans. The link to open a scholarship application is at the bottom of the page during the registration process.
Our funding for scholarships is from donations! Please consider making a donation to our Scholarship Fund!
Use the "Register" button to the left or call us at 360-830-6439 ext 0.
Fundamentals of Mindfulness in Kirkland (4-week class)
Wednesdays mid-day from February 22nd to March 15th.
Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction in Seattle (8-week class)
Thursday evenings from January 26th to March 16th.
Fundamentals of Mindfulness in Seattle (4-week class)
Tuesdays mid-day from February 14th to March 7th.