For UW-affiliated Healthcare Providers: Mindfulness training on Sunday evenings. A chance for Seattle-area professionals to learn about mindfulness first-hand in a supportive group of peers.
Join us in the company of other clinicians, staff, and their family members, in an investigation of mindfulness from the inside out. Introduction to Mindfulness (and it's companion class Continuing with Mindfulness) are based on Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR). MBSR is the best researched mindfulness intervention with positive research indications for:
- Improving immune system function
- Reducing anxiety
- Preventing relapse of depression
- Reducing negative emotional response to stress
- Managing chronic pain
- Addressing chronic health conditions including high blood pressure, fibromyalgia, heart disease, asthma, GI distress, and skin disorders
- Effectively coping with short and long-term stressful situations
- Encouraging growth in the brain areas associated with learning, memory, focus, attention, emotional regulation, and empathy
- Enhancing compassion and altruism
- Reducing pregnancy-related anxiety
- Helping professionals cope with stress, connect with patients, and reduce burnout-inducing negative emotions and anxiety
- Coping with PTSD (veterans and other sufferers)
- Increasing “mindfulness of eating” (e.g., in relationship to obesity)
- Improving general health and well-being through a focus on prevention and greater awareness of what's truly harmful and helpful
This shorter Introduction to Mindfulness class was inspired by MBSR and offers a deep taste of mindfulness training in a briefer 5-week period.
This course is for UW-affiliated clinicians and their family members. This includes UW Medicine Staff and residents/fellows/students and their family members. Please contact GME directly with eligibility questions at email@example.com or 206.616.8286.
Introduction to Mindfulness is a structured 5-week course on mindfulness that promotes stress reduction, health and well-being. This highly participatory, practical class includes:
- Guided instruction in mindfulness meditation practices
- Gentle stretching and mindful yoga
- Inquiry exercises to enhance awareness in everyday life
- Group dialogue and small group exercises
- Daily home assignments
- Guided audio files for home practice
- a 40-page workbook with short readings, a guide to the course, and resources to support your ongoing investigation of mindfulness
Please see the MBSR page for full details about the well-researched class designed by Jon Kabat-Zinn and the Center for Mindfulness at the UMass Medical Center.
5 meetings: 4 regular class sessions and one extended session.
Sunday evenings 6:00pm - 8:30pm: January 7th, 14th and 21st and February 11th. We do not meet on February 4th.
Extended session: Sunday January 28th, 1:00pm - 7:00pm
Instructor: Richard Johnson, PhD
UW School of Medicine
South Lake Union
850 Republican St.
(Map and directions)
$150 for UW Faculty/Staff, $50 for UW Housestaff
The fee includes all 5 meetings and instructional materials (course manual and home practice CDs).
This class is sponsored by UW Graduate Medical Education and the UW School of Medicine Wellness Committee and offered at a reduced fee.
Registration is through UW GME via a Catalyst survey (link to come).