This class has been canceled.
If you're affiliated with UW, you might like to join our Introduction to Mindfulness for UW Medicine course on Sunday evenings beginning March 5th.
You might also like to join our Mindfulness for Healthcare Professionals course hosted by The Everett Clinic on Wednesday evenings beginning May 17th. This second course is open to all Healthcare Professionals and their spouses or partners.
Mindfulness for medical professionals and their spouses/partners
Washington Physicians Health Program is happy to announce new programs to enhance the health of Washington state medical professionals.
Join us in the company of other clinicians and their family members in an investigation of mindfulness from the inside out. This class is based on Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR). MBSR is the best researched mindfulness intervention with positive research indications for:
- Improving immune system function
- Reducing anxiety
- Preventing relapse of depression
- Reducing negative emotional response to stress
- Managing chronic pain
- Addressing chronic health conditions including high blood pressure, fibromyalgia, heart disease, asthma, GI distress, and skin disorders
- Effectively coping with short and long-term stressful situations
- Encouraging growth in the brain areas associated with learning, memory, focus, attention, emotional regulation, and empathy
- Enhancing compassion and altruism
- Reducing pregnancy-related anxiety
- Helping professionals cope with stress, connect with patients, and reduce burnout-inducing negative emotions and anxiety
- Coping with PTSD (veterans and other sufferers)
- Increasing “mindfulness of eating” (e.g., in relationship to obesity)
- Improving general health and well-being through a focus on prevention and greater awareness of what's truly harmful and helpful
This shorter Mindfulness for Healthcare Professionals class was inspired by MBSR and offers a deep taste of mindfulness training in a briefer 5-week period.
These programs will be open to any medical professional along with your spouse or partner. No past or current involvement with WPHP is necessary.
To gather with like-minded peers from the medical profession in a supportive group is a deeply beneficial aspect of this program.
Introduction to Mindfulness is a structured 5-week course on mindfulness that promotes stress reduction, health and well-being. This highly participatory, practical class includes:
- Guided instruction in mindfulness meditation practices
- Gentle stretching and mindful yoga
- Inquiry exercises to enhance awareness in everyday life
- Group dialogue and small group exercises
- Daily home assignments
- Guided audio files for home practice
- a 50-page workbook with short readings, a guide to the course, and resources to support your ongoing investigation of mindfulness
Please see the MBSR page for full details about the well-researched MBSR class designed by Jon Kabat-Zinn and the Center for Mindfulness at the UMass Medical Center.
Instructor: Richard Johnson, PhD
Downtown Seattle at WPHP headquarters (8th + Olive Building): 720 Olive Way, Suite 1029, Seattle, WA 98101 (street parking is free on Sundays downtown).
Schedule: Sunday evenings 6pm - 8:30pm January 29th - February 26th, extended session 1pm - 7pm on February 19th
$250 per person.
The fee includes all 5 meetings and instructional materials (course manual and home practice CDs). Related Courses:
Meeting Mindfulness - an Introductory Retreat for Healthcare Professionals
on January 8th.
Additional Information: please see this page on the WPHP website.
Registration questions: Please register through Mindfulness Northwest using our online registration (the "Register" button above and to the left) or by contacting us at 360-830-6439 ext 0.