Getting Started with Mindfulness and Compassion on Mercer Island
The practice of mindfulness helps us find the calm center in the storm of life. And the practice of compassion helps us warm our hearts and meet the calm and the chaos with more kindness and curiosity. Our 8-week classes go into these two topics in depth. This 3-week class can help you get a feeling for this rewarding work and help you choose your path forward. With three sessions, a manual, support for practice between classes, and a warm classroom community you'll get started in "the practice" in a solid way.
Expect to learn:
- What mindfulness is and how systematic training in being more present and aware benefits our mental and physical health
- How mindfulness helps us be more aware of perceptions - and misperceptions!
- What meditation is, and what it isn't
- How mindfulness of the body grounds you and increases wise responses to stress
- How compassion works and what distinguishes it from empathy on the one hand, and pity on the other
- How mindfulness and compassion help to reduce burnout and caregiving fatigue
- The difference between formal and informal mindfulness & compassion practices
Expect to leave with:
- A 35 page manual and access to helpful practice recordings
- Daily life tools for pausing and bringing kindness to even the most challenging situations
- New friends and comrades on "the path"
- An understanding of how a meditation teacher and how meditation communities serve to support your growth
We hope you'll join us in this accessible new Mindfulness Northwest class designed by our Executive Director Tim Burnett based on his 30 years of meditation experience and teaching hundreds of students mindfulness and compassion.
3 classroom sessions: Tuesday evenings 6 PM - 8:30 PM, October 30 - November 13
Beth Glosten, MD, Certified Mindfulness Teacher through the Mindfulness Northwest Teacher Training Program.
Mercer Island Community and Event Center
8236 SE 24th St
Mercer Island, WA
(map and directions)
$85-$125 sliding scale fee (paying on the higher end makes the lower end possible, our usual built-in "scholarship" system).
The fee includes all 3 meetings and instructional materials (course manual and home practice CDs).
NOTE: King County employees are eligible for free tuition via the King County Balanced You program. To sign-up for this course, please email BalancedYou@kingcounty.gov to request approval before registering on this website.
Payment plans are available during registration (4 equal monthly payments; no financing fee).
Financial Assistance: Scholarship assistance may be available for those unable to pay at the low end of the sliding fee scale. Please APPLY FOR A SCHOLARSHIP.
REGISTER ONLINE or register by phone at 360-830-6439 ext 0.
Our Other Classes, Workshops, and Retreats
See our entire schedule of classes, workshops, and retreats.