Mindful Relationships Workshop
Neuroscience has proven what people intuitively know — human beings need connection: we’re neurologically wired for it and psychologically dependent on it to thrive. This innate need and capacity requires early, consistent experiences with attuned and secure parents in order to develop. Research tells us, however, that 45% of all adults in the U.S. have not experienced the kind of parenting that provides the foundation for the neurological patterning of lifelong feelings of safety, security, and well-being, the underpinnings of healthy adult relationships.
BUT THERE IS GOOD NEWS. Recent neuroscience has also discovered that we can build new neural pathways, ones which lead to stable, meaningful, and happy relationships. The skills which reflect this re-patterning are the same characteristics of people who experienced healthy, attuned childhood relationships and are present in people who practice mindfulness. These skills include:
- Management of the body’s reactions
- Regulation of fear reactivity
- Emotional resilience
- Response flexibility
- Insight (self knowing)
- Empathy and attunement - within self and with others
- Perspective shift from “me” to “we”
In this class, we explore these fundamentals of how to improve relationships with others - at home or at work - through mindful awareness and an open heart:
- What it means to have a Mindful Heart
- Getting to the root of relationship patterns such as blame, defensiveness, avoiding conflict, and shutting down
- Letting go of unhelpful narratives about ourselves, our partner, and our relationships
- 6 mindfulness practices that nourish and sustain relationships
- Practical benefits of mindfulness in relationships
- Guided instruction in mindfulness meditation practice
- Inquiry exercises to enhance awareness in everyday life
- Group dialogue and small group exercises
- Guided audio files for home practice
- A handout with short readings, a guide to the course, and resources to support your ongoing investigation of mindfulness
Instructors: Richard and Teresa Johnson
Cost: $30 - $60 Sliding Scale Tuition. We also have special Scholarship Tuition options available for those unable to pay at the low end of the sliding scale. Payment plans are also available during registration (four equal monthly payments; no financing fee).
Additional Scholarship Assistance: May be available for those unable to register at the available sliding scale or scholarship rates. A separate application is required for additional scholarship assistance APPLY FOR ADDITIONAL SCHOLARSHIPRegistration:
REGISTER ONLINE or register by phone at 360-830-6439 ext 0.
Our Other Classes, Workshops, and Retreats
See our entire schedule of classes, workshops, and retreats.