Mindful Self-Compassion 8-week training.
Mindful Self-Compassion (MSC) was developed by Christopher K. Germer, PhD, leader in the integration of mindfulness and psychotherapy (www.mindfulselfcompassion.org) and Kristin Neff, PhD, pioneering researcher in the field of self-compassion (www.self-compassion.org).
MSC combines the skills of mindfulness and self-compassion, providing a powerful tool for emotional resilience. Mindfulness is the first step in emotional healing - being able to turn toward and acknowledge our difficult thoughts and feelings (such as inadequacy, sadness, anger, confusion) with a spirit of openness and curiosity.
Self-compassion involves responding to these difficult thoughts and feelings with kindness, sympathy and understanding so that we soothe and comfort ourselves when we're hurting. Research has shown that self-compassion greatly enhances emotional well-being. It boosts happiness, reduces anxiety and depression, and can even help maintain healthy lifestyle habits such as diet and exercise. Being both mindful and compassionate leads to greater ease and well-being in our daily lives.
MSC can be learned by anyone. It's the practice of repeatedly evoking good will toward ourselves - especially when we're suffering - and cultivating the same desire that all living beings have to live happily and be free from suffering.
Most of us feel compassion when a close friend is struggling. What would it be like to receive the same caring attention whenever you needed it most? All that's required is a shift in the direction of our attention - recognizing that as a human being, you too, are a worthy recipient of compassion.
In MSC you will learn:
- How to stop being so hard on yourself
- How to handle difficult emotions with greater ease
- How to motivate yourself with encouragement rather than criticism
- How to transform difficult relations, both old and new
- Mindfulness and self-compassion practices for home and everyday life
- The theory and research behind mindful self-compassion
- How to become your own best teacher
A randomized, controlled trial demonstrated that MSC significantly increased self-compassion, compassion for others, mindfulness, and life satisfaction, as well as decreased depression, anxiety and stress. Improvements were linked to how much a person practiced mindfulness and self-compassion in their daily lives.
Instructor: Catherine Duffy, Certified Mindfulness Northwest Instructor and MSC Trained Teacher with the Center for Mindful Self-Compassion at the University of California at San Diego.
Schedule and Location:
Eight classroom sessions (skipping October 8), at the following location:
Providence Regional Medical Center Everett -Colby Campus
Olympic Room (with some weeks in Rainier and Cascade rooms)
All-day Retreat (Saturday, November 2):
Brightwater Environmental Education Center in Woodinville
$365-$555 Sliding Scale Tuition. We also have special Scholarship Tuition options available for those unable to pay at the low end of the sliding scale. Payment plans are also available during registration (four equal monthly payments; no financing fee).
The fee includes all 9 meetings and instructional materials (course manual and home practice CDs).
REGISTER ONLINE or register by phone at 360-830-6439 ext 0.
For all details about our registration and cancellation policies, please see our Course Registration Policies page.
Notes for King County employees who are taking this course as part of the Balanced You program:
1) King County employees are eligible for free tuition via the King County Balanced You program. To sign-up for this course, please email BalancedYou@kingcounty.gov to request approval before registering on this website.
2) If for any reason a King County employee cannot attend a course they are registered for, please immediately notify KCTraining@kingcounty.gov. Cancellations must be received in writing at least five full business days prior to the start of the class. Registrants who cancel with less than five business days' notice or who fail to attend the class will be assessed a $100 cancellation fee.
Our Other Classes, Workshops, and Retreats
See our entire schedule of classes, workshops, and retreats.