For Healthcare Professionals:
An ONLINE class teaching the fundamentals of mindfulness and MBSR.
Co-sponsored by WPHP & WSMA.
CME Credits Available.
Join us for an investigation of mindfulness from the inside out. Mindfulness for Healthcare Professionals is based on the Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) program. MBSR is the best researched mindfulness intervention with positive research indications for:
- Choosing appropriate mindfulness training techniques in preventative and responsive ways in high stress situations.
- Utilizing appropriate mindfulness practices to mitigate the risk factors for burnout.
- Discussing strategies with peers for a more positive, mindful engagement in work and home situations that have been previously triggered stress response and unhelpful behaviors.
- Identifying helpful vs. unhelpful thought patterns, problem solving, emotional regulation, and meaning-focused coping strategies.
- Demonstrating meaningful change in personal mindfulness, perceived stress, and burnout as shown in standardized measures administered pre- and post-activity.
This Mindfulness for Healthcare Professionals class was inspired by MBSR and offers a deep taste of mindfulness training in a shorter 4-week period.
This course is open to all Washington State healthcare professionals, including mental health professionals (MD/DO/PT/PA/NP/RN/LMHC/MHC/MSW, etc.). This course is not open to massage therapists.
Mindfulness for Healthcare Professionals is a structured 4-week course on mindfulness that promotes stress reduction, health and well-being. This highly participatory, practical class includes:
- Guided instruction in mindfulness meditation practices
- Gentle stretching and mindful yoga
- Inquiry exercises to enhance awareness in everyday life
- Group dialogue and small group exercises
- Daily home assignments
- Guided audio files for home practice
- a 60-page workbook with short readings, a guide to the course, and resources to support your ongoing investigation of mindfulness (provided in digital PDF format)
Please see our MBSR page
for full details about the well-researched MBSR class (designed by Jon Kabat-Zinn and the Center for Mindfulness at the UMass Medical Center) upon which this Mindfulness for Healthcare Professionals class is based.
5 meetings: 4 regular class sessions and one extended session.
Class Sessions: 4 Thursday evenings 6 PM- 8:30 PM, February 7 - March 7 (no class February 28th).
Extended Session: Sunday February 24, 9 AM - 3 PM. Those living in the Seattle or Bellingham areas (or willing to travel!) may instead choose to attend an in-person Extended Session (see Note below).
Additionally: If you've never taken an online course with us, you'll need to set up your connection with us on Thursday January 31st at 6 PM (1 week before the class starts) or on Thursday February 7th at 5:30 PM (30 minutes before the class starts). More details will be sent with you registration.
Tim Burnett, Lead Teacher: Executive Director and Guiding Instructor at Mindfulness Northwest
Beth Glosten, MD, Assistant Teacher: Certified Mindfulness Teacher through the Mindfulness Northwest Teacher Training Program.
Location: Offered Live Online.
We'll use the Zoom video conferencing platform. Find out more about this easy to use software at www.Zoom.us. Broadband internet is required. Details on how to use Zoom will be sent with your registration.
Note: If you've never taken an online course with us, you'll need to set up your connection with us on Thursday January 31st at 6 PM (1 week before the class starts) or on Thursday February 7th at 5:30 PM (30 minutes before the class starts). More details will be sent with you registration.
The fee includes all 5 meetings and instructional materials (a downloadable manual and guided meditation audio tracks).
Payment plans are available during registration (4 equal monthly payments; no financing fee).
Financial Assistance: Scholarship assistance may be available for those in need. Please APPLY FOR A SCHOLARSHIP.
REGISTER ONLINE or register by phone at 360-830-6439 ext 0.
A Special Note
Those living in the Seattle, Tacoma, or Bellingham areas (or willing to travel!) may choose to attend one of the following in-person Extended Sessions rather than the online Extended Session scheduled for Sunday February 24th:
- Bellevue: Saturday March 2, 9 AM - 4 PM.
- Bellingham: Saturday February 23, 10 AM - 4 PM.
- Seattle: Saturday March 2, 9 AM - 4 PM.
- Tacoma: Sunday February 24, 9 AM - 4 PM (tentative).
- Woodinville: Saturday March 9, 9 AM - 4 PM.
There is no additional fee charged. Please simply register for the online course and then email us and let us know you'd like to attend an in-person Extended Session and we'll register you (assuming there is space available). And note that those attending an in-person Extended Session are still eligible to receive CME credits for that portion of the course.
Continuing Education / Accreditation Statement
This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with accreditation requirements and policies of the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) through the joint providership of the Washington State Medical Association and Mindfulness Northwest. The WSMA is accredited by the ACCME to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The WSMA designates this live activity for a maximum of 14 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
This activity meets the criteria for up to 14 hours of Category I CME credit to satisfy the relicensure requirements of the Washington State Medical Quality Assurance Commission.
Disclosure to Audience
The content of this activity is not related to products or services of an ACCME-defined commercial interest; therefore no one in control of content has a relevant financial relationship to disclose and there is no potential for conflicts of interest.
Our other Classes, Workshops and Retreats
See our entire schedule of classes, workshops, and retreats.