Learn tools, practice techniques, and build community from the comfort of your home or office. Our online class instruction, content, and format is identical to our in-person classes: we gather together in a warm and supportive setting for live, real-time, interactive practice with mindfulness.
In preparation for your upcoming Live Online Mindfulness Class, you must do the following well in advance of the first meeting. These suggestions are based on past experience, and are offered to help make your class experience as smooth and beneficial as possible
1. Read all previous emails carefully and follow all instructions related to using Zoom.
2. Get a Zoom Account. If you don't already have a Zoom account, please get one (a free one is all you need and you can get it at www.zoom.us or by using the classroom link in your confirmation email.) Please use your real first and last name for the account name as it will work like a name tag when we all meet in class.
3. Use a device with the largest screen possible. A laptop or desktop with a mic and camera work best. A large tablet also will work; a phone will not.
4. Download the Zoom app to your device if you haven't already. (You will be prompted to do this when you click on the classroom link in your confirmation email).
5. If you have a Zoom account already, please make sure the account name includes your first name. If you need to edit it, here's how:
A. Log into Zoom online at www.zoom.us (or open the app up on your device and click on the "settings" gear icon in the upper right, then click on "Advanced Features", and then click on "Edit my Profile" and skip to item "D" below).
B. Click on “Profile” on the left-hand menu.
C. Click the “Edit” link that is to the right of your account name and account number.
D. Input your real first and last name.
E. Click “Save Changes.”
6. In order to facilitate the best classroom experience, all students are expected to have their video turned on. Test your audio and video. You can find that under the Settings button. Once you go to Settings, there is a menu item for “audio” and one for “video” and each one will let you test your device. NOTE: It is important to test both your mic and your speaker under the audio tab.This tech stuff can be challenging the first time or two! If you’ve never used Zoom before, we encourage you to join the first class 15-30 minutes early.
When you get into the Zoom room and see other faces, practice unmuting, saying hello, making sure you’re seen and heard, and muting again.
Many people have concerns or tech challenges at first, but we are always able to get them worked out so the online classroom works well for everybody.
If you're having trouble with Zoom, check out these help pages: