We recommend the following weekly mindfulness practice groups which are in the style of Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction and accessible to all regardless of spiritual/religious orientation. All of these groups are drop-in. You may contact them ahead for more information and an orientation to what they do or simply drop in. Prior experience with MBSR is helpful.
Seattle: Weekly Community Sits in the Mindfulness Style
- Meditation Mondays - Mondays at 12:30pm - Medical Dental Building (downtown)
509 Olive Way, 3rd Floor Winter Garden Conference Room. Facilitated by Amy Darling. 206-920-9929 www.amycdarling.com. Amy also offers periodic half-day retreats. Downloadable Flyer.
Seattle Mindfulness Center's Community Meditation - Tuesdays at 7:30pm - Seattle Mindfulness Center (Phinney Ridge)
You are welcome to offer a donation. However, all are welcome regardless of ability to pay.
Please note that this is not an introductory meditation class and is best suited to those who have already completed a mindfulness class. Each evening begins with brief instruction, followed by a 35-40 minute sitting meditation and discussion.More details: http://seattlemindfulnesscenter.com/community-meditation-group/
Mindfulness at the Frye - Wednesdays at 12:30pm - Frye Art Museum (First Hill)
Present-moment awareness is essential to experience and appreciate any work for art, but it can be elusive and we often find ourselves distracted or lost in thought. Through the training and practice of mindfulness meditation we can apply present-moment awareness not only to experience art, but to all aspects of life. We can discover a calm amidst our to-do lists and more fully appreciate the gift of each day.
Partnering with Swedish Medical Center Rehab Services, the Frye offers free, thirty-minute “drop-in” mindfulness-meditation sessions Wednesdays at 12:30 pm. These sessions are guided by Carolyn McManus, PT, MS, MA and Diane Hetrick, PT. Registration is not required.
Materials referenced at past Mindfulness Meditation events.
Mindfulness Meditation is a free program presented weekly, Wednesdays from 12:30 to 1:00 pm. Admission to the Frye is free and free parking is available. More details: http://fryemuseum.org/program/meditation/
- Free Mindfulness Meditation - Fridays 12:05 - 12:55 (doors close at 12:10) - Sponsored by Providence Health and Services - Digital Innovation Group
Practice location: Bank of America Building (across from Columbia Tower), 800 5th Avenue, 11th floor. Please RSVP to email@example.com
This is a free and open-to-the public meetup for anyone interested is learning about, or participating in, mindfulness and meditation. These weekly 45-minute sessions are designed to offer the tools and guided experience to cultivate more mindfulness and compassion in your day.
Joining by phone is an option: 1-8955-747-5962 Conference ID: 723451
- "The Happy Hour" - Fridays at 6:15pm - Sound Mindfulness Group @ the Taoist Studies Institute (Phinney Ridge, North)
Fresh off his latest month of silence and in a gorgeous new setting, Brent Morton, invites you to a new weekly sitting group held in the historic & inspiring Taoist Studies Institute located at 225 N.70th St, in the Phinney Ridge neighborhood.
The goal is to create a casual community-building weekly event to help you develop or continue a regular meditation practice within a supportive atmosphere. Every Friday, there will be a partially guided/partially silent sitting practice, a featured theme for discussion and a question and answer period.
More details: http://soundmindfulnessgroup.com/?page_id=93 415-686-8025 firstname.lastname@example.org
Seattle: Other Mindfulness Practice Options
- Bet Alef Meditational Synagogue: Mindfulness meditation within the Jewish tradition
Rabbi Ted Falcon 206-527-9919 www.betalef.org
- Centering Prayer Groups: Mindfulness meditation practiced within a Christian tradition. There are centering prayer groups throughout the Greater Seattle area. They can be located on-line at www.conw.org - meets at St. Mark’s Episcopal Cathedral, 1245 10th Ave E., Seattle. The contact person is: Gay Marcontell at 206-322-7482
- Compline Service, St Mark’s Cathedral Every Sunday evening at 9:30 p.m., the all-male Compline Choir leads this formal choral service that is a Seattle tradition. An average audience of 500 packs the Cathedral each week for this meditative service. Many more listen to the broadcast on KING-FM, 98.1 on the radio dial. 1245 Tenth Ave. East Seattle, www.saintmarks.org
- Mindfulness Community of Puget Sound: Mindfulness meditation from a Buddhist perspective, in the tradition of Thich Nhat Hanh. 1920 24th Ave. S. Seattle, WA Meets Monday evenings from 7-9 pm for meditation and instruction. Day of mindfulness on the third Sunday of the month. Regular programs are on a donation basis. www.mindfulnesspugetsound.org
- Northwest Dharma Association: A wonderful resource for information on mindfulness meditation in the Buddhist tradition – includes a regular newsletter with articles by meditation teachers and a listing of local meditation classes and retreats. http://northwestdharma.org/ (206) 441-6811
- Seattle Dharma Punx: seattledharmapunx.com - a self-led meditation group geared to an emerging generation of young practitioners, offering a casual space to meditate in community, exploring Buddhist teachings, and sharing personal experience.
- Seattle Insight Meditation Society (SIMS): Mindfulness meditation from a Buddhist perspective (Vipassana style)
Regular meditation and lecture on Tuesdays at 6:45 p.m. at Bloedel Hall, St. Mark’s Episcopal Cathedral, 1245 10th Ave E., Seattle Cathedral. Rodney Smith is a very experienced teacher. This organization offers beginning meditation classes at locations throughout the Seattle area and regularly sponsors respected mindfulness teachers who visit Seattle from around the world. www.seattleinsight.org
- Seattle Soto Zen. Zen meditation with an emphasis on present moment experience and clarity. Instruction and support available from resident priest Eko Jeff Kelley - email@example.com
Sundays at 9:30am at Puget Sound Aikido. 101 Nickerson, Seattle (Nickerson Business Park). Just south of Freemont. www.SeattleSotoZen.org
- University Friends Meeting – Seattle area Quakers, silent worship services weekly. http://www.scn.org/friends/ufm.html
- Veteran’s Weekly Meditation (VA) – Every Monday 11am – Noon, VA Hospital Seattle. Special refresher courses taught by MBSR instructors are also being offered. Contact the MBSR Coordinator to confirm times and room locations. (206) 277-1721.