Grow and Sustain your Compassion Practice in Community
Are you interested in continuing to develop your compassion practice? Want to deepen your understanding of compassion? Curious about the spiritual roots of contemporary compassion teachings? Are you seeking community and support around integrating the habit of daily self-compassion and compassion for others into your life?
Developed and taught by Mindfulness Northwest Founder and Executive Director Tim Burnett.
This course will support you in:
- Setting intentions for your practice of compassion
- Incorporating formal and informal compassion practices in your daily routine
- Learning ways to relate to the doings of your emotional life in a more healthy way
- Exploring compassion and mindfulness in the context of how you relate with others
- Learning how compassion was traditionally understood in Buddhism and how to apply this ancient wisdom to our modern lives
- Going more deeply into the scientific support and exploration of compassion and its benefits
- Being in community with other committed practitioners of compassion and an experienced teacher for two months
The central text for this class will be:
Training in Compassion: Zen Teachings on the Practice of Lojong by Norman Fischer (2013)
Classes like Mindful Self-Compassion are powerful partly because of the strong learning communities that come together over those two months. We learn as much from each other in class as we do from the teacher and the curriculum. Deepening into our mindful compassion practice with MSC II helps us continue that supportive community. We come together to keep learning with and from each other, and to support each other in living in deep conversation with practice.
In this 8-week exploration we’ll orient our exploration around a traditional Buddhist text and touch upon the scientific support for the transformational possibilities of compassion practice.
The emphasis will be both on developing deeper understanding, and on everyday life integration.
Each week expect:
- Hands-on compassion practices, exercises and meditations
- Discussion and exploration of how we’re incorporating compassion into our lives
- A deep dive into topics ranging from Buddhist teachings on the Compassion Mind Trainings (lojong) to recent neuroscience
- Weekly home practice assignments, readings, handouts and videos to explore
- Connect with an accountability partner between classes to support your daily practice
To learn more about whether the time is right for you to register for this course, please see What Are Our Classes Like? in the FAQs, from Executive Director Tim Burnett.
You must have completed the 8-week Mindful Self-Compassion course or the 8-week Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction course (with any teacher or school) before taking MSC II: Roots of Compassion.
Sundays, January 22 – March 19, 2023*
4 – 6:00pm PST
Day of Mindfulness & Self-Compassion Retreat: Sunday, March 5th, 9am – 4pm PST (no class after)
*Regular class period replaced on March 5 with the retreat day.
Offered Live Online. Zoom link will be sent to you by email once you register.
Choose what’s right for you on our sliding scale: $370 – $615
- Scholarships – Limited scholarships available. No need to apply; just choose scholarship tuition during registration.
- Payment Plans – No interest, 4 month payment plan option is available during registration.