This residential retreat will be held mostly in silence at the beautiful Samish Island Campground and Retreat Center and will include a series of gently guided mindfulness practices including sitting meditation, walking meditation, gentle yoga, and the body scan.
Informative talks on the process of being on retreat, mindfulness, stress reactivity, and other topics will be presented by the instructor. Small and large group discussion at the beginning and end of the weekend will center around our experience together walking, sitting, and breathing in the quiet of the beautiful retreat site.
• Starts Friday with 4pm – 5pm check in followed by dinner and an orientation, after which we will begin our silence.
• Saturday is a full day of silent practice (7:00am to 8:30pm with breaks for meals).
• Sunday is a short morning practice period, followed by breakfast and closing activities.
• The retreat concludes at about 12pm on Sunday after cabin clean up, with a sack lunch provided for the road.
You can review a typical schedule.
WHO THIS RETREAT IS FOR
- Students of mindfulness interested in deepening and maintaining their practice.
- Those who have taken a course in Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction, Mindful Self-Compassion, or Mindfulness for Healthcare Professionals.
- Adults age 18 and over.
NEW TO RETREAT?
This is a silent retreat with supportive guidance from our teachers including significant periods of silence and few distractions or amusements. While a weekend retreat can be a good way to get started with extended practice, some find it helpful to take a more gradual approach through our daylong retreats (offered online and in-person).
If your practice has been primarily at home (guided by apps or recordings, etc.) we do recommend trying longer meditations of 30-40 minutes before signing up for retreat. Take a look at a typical weekend retreat schedule.
$290 – $540 (or $73 – $135/month)
- Sliding scale: Choose what’s right for you.
- Payment plan option: 4-months, no-interest.
- Limited scholarships available: No need to apply; just choose a scholarship tuition during registration.
- Lodging – An additional surcharge applies for some lodging options.
Please review our current COVID policy before registering. Overnight retreats involve considerably more interaction and time together. We may require additional steps such as home testing before arrival or masking at retreats.
For retreats at Samish Island Camp:
- Cancel up to 15 days before the event begins: Receive a full refund less the $40 non-refundable processing fee.
- Cancel between 14 days and the event start time: Receive a refund of 50% of the tuition paid.
- Cancel after the event begins: No refunds.
*Note: If the tuition is paid on a payment plan, payments will continue to withdraw until the amount due is paid.
Registration closes at 11:55pm on Wednesday, October 23rd.
About the Teacher
FOOD & ACCOMMODATIONS
Simple accommodations and tasty, nutritious meals are included in your registration. The wonderful cooks at Samish can always accommodate gluten-free, dairy-free, nut-free and vegetarian diets. If your dietary needs require bringing your own food, fridge space is available, as is a microwave.
Most rooms are comfortable single-occupancy rustic cabins sharing the campground bathhouses. *There is an option for motel-style rooms with a shared en-suite bath for a surcharge. RV and tent camping are also available (water and electrical hookup provided). More information about accommodations here.
ABOUT SAMISH ISLAND RETREAT CENTER
This beautiful campground maintained by the Community of Christ at the east end of Samish Island (the “island” is accessible by road) offers stunning views, deep quiet, and simple accommodations. Mindfulness Northwest has been offering retreats at Samish for many years. More details about the venue can be found here.
Note that Samish is very lightly staffed allowing it to be more affordable than most venues. This helps us to hold registration fees at an affordable level. Every participant helps out with camp chores such as washing dishes and cleaning the buildings at the end of the retreat.
Register for this program
Please log in
if you have an account