A 14-credit CME mindfulness series in Bellingham for area medical professionals and therapists and their spouses or partners.
The Physicians' Well-Being Network and Mindfulness Northwest are happy to continue to provide this program to enhance the health of regional healthcare professionals.
Join us in an investigation of mindfulness from the inside out. Mindfulness for Healthcare Professionals is based on Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR). MBSR is the best researched mindfulness intervention with positive research indications for:
- Reduced stress and anxiety while working
- Reduced burnout
- Improved communication and relationships with patients
- Better patient outcomes
- Improved communications and relationships with co-workers
- Improved focus and creativity
- Greater job satisfaction
This Mindfulness for Healthcare Professionals class was inspired by MBSR and offers a deep taste of mindfulness training in a shorter 5-week period.
This course is for healthcare professionals and therapists (MD/DO/PA/NP/RN/LMHC/MHC/MSW, etc.) and their spouse or partner.
Mindfulness for Healthcare Professionals is a structured 5-week, 16 hour course on mindfulness that promotes stress reduction, health and well-being. This highly participatory, practical class includes:
- Guided instruction in mindfulness meditation practices
- Guided instruction in stretching and mindful yoga
- Inquiry exercises to enhance awareness in everyday life
- Group dialogue and small group exercises
- Daily home assignments
- A CD of meditations for home practice
- a 60-page workbook with short readings, a guide to the course, and resources to support your ongoing investigation of mindfulness
This course is derived from the well-researched, 8-week Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) course designed by Jon Kabat-Zinn and the Center for Mindfulness at the UMass Medical Center. Further details found below.
This course has been offered to physicians, healthcare professionals and therapists at many regional medical centers since 2012 including UW Medicine, Evergreen Health, The Everett Clinic, Seattle Cancer Care Alliance, and the Skagit Valley Medical Center through the Northwest Washington Medical Society or co-sponsored with the Washington Physicians Health Program.
Instructor: Tim Burnett, Executive Director & Guiding Instructor at Mindfulness Northwest
4 classroom sessions: Sunday evenings 6 PM - 8:30 PM, October 7, October 21, October 28, November 18 (skipping October 14 & November 11).
Extended session: Sunday November 4, 10 am - 4 pm.
Extended session (Sunday November 4th):
St. Joseph Hospital
Conference Room 5/6 (the right side of room 5/6 as you leave the cafeteria)
2901 Squalicum Parkway
Bellingham, WA 98225
(map and directions)
Semiahmoo County Park (near Blaine)
9261 Semiahmoo Pkwy
Blaine, WA 98230
(map and directions)
$240 - $360 sliding scale (paying on the higher end makes the lower end possible, our usual built-in "scholarship" system).
The fee includes all 5 meetings and instructional materials (course manual and home practice CDs).
Payment plans are available during registration (4 equal monthly payments; no financing fee).
Financial Assistance: Scholarship assistance may be available for those unable to pay at the low end of the sliding fee scale. Please APPLY FOR A SCHOLARSHIP.
Register Online or register by phone at 360-830-6439 ext 0.
PeaceHealth St. Joseph Medical Center is accredited by the Washington State Medical Association to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
PeaceHealth St. Joseph designates this live activity for a maximum of 14 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
This activity meets the criteria for up to 14 hours of Category I Continuing Medical Education (CME) credit to satisfy the relicensure requirements of the Washington State Medical Quality Assurance Commission.
Category 1 CME credits are generally accepted on a 1:1 equivalency by nursing, social work, mental health counseling and other licensing authorities. Health care professionals are advised to check about equivalencies with their licensing authorities in advance.
Disclosure: The Planning Committee, faculty and CME Committee of PeaceHealth St. Joseph Medical Center disclose no relevant commercial interest.
After this education, learners should be able to:
- 1. Employ formal and informal mindfulness training techniques in preventive and responsive ways in high stress situations;
- 2. Identify the three primary components of burnout and implement mindfulness practices to reduce risk of burnout along these three axes;
- 3. Discuss with peers strategies for positive, mindful engagement in work and home situations which trigger stress response and unhelpful behaviors;
- 4. Identify helpful and unhelpful thought patterns, problem solving, emotional regulation, and meaning-focused coping strategies;
- 5. Show change in mindfulness, perceived stress, and burnout as shown in standardized measures administered pre and post.
This course is based on the longer Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) training which has been shown in numerous studies to:
- increase immune system function
- reduce anxiety
- prevent relapse of depression
- reduce negative emotions responding to stress
- manage chronic pain
- help manage chronic health conditions including high blood pressure, fibromyalgia, heart disease, asthma, GI distress, and skin disorders
- provide an effective coping mechanism for short and long-term stressful situations
- encourage growth in the brain areas associated with learning, memory, focus, attention, emotional regulation, and empathy
- enhance compassion and altruism
- with relationships and communication, parents reduce pregnancy-related anxiety
- help professionals cope with stress, connect with patients, and reduce burnout-inducing negative emotions and anxiety.
- help veterans and other sufferers of PTSD
- with obesity - increase “mindfulness of eating”
- provide an increase in general health and well-being through a focus on prevention and improved awareness of what's truly harmful and helpful
This condensed Mindfulness for Healthcare Professionals class includes much of the MBSR material, offering a deep taste of mindfulness in a shorter class.
Other Classes, Retreats and Workshops in the Area See our entire schedule.